Friday, February 29, 2008

Myth of Father

I watched Myth of Father tonight, a 28 minute documentary by Paul Hill about his transsexual father. He interviews his dad, Jodie, and other family members, painting a touching snapshot of simultaneously complicated and simple family dynamics. In part of the film, he orchestrates a family reunion to try to bring everyone closer. I can relate to Paul Hill, not just because I have a transsexual father, but because of his position in the family - the one trying to maintain relationships with everyone. At one point, Paul says "the thought of my dad living as a woman is still a little strange, but I need my dad in my life. And I'm thankful that she's found her true self." His parents split up when he was young and his dad was always distant.

It's amazing that through a parent's transition, one can sometimes discover a relationship that you've always been missing.

No comments: